Net Metering

Can I generate my own electricity?

Mason PUD 3 offers a program called "Net Metering" to customers who want to generate some of their own electricity while still connected to the PUD 3 distribution system. Customers can receive credit for electricity that they generate on site that exceeds their own needs.

Self-generated electricity is growing in popularity across the country. Customers should educate themselves by doing research and checking the qualifications and experience of a company who will assist them in the installation of an energy system. This ensures that the installation meets local and state standards. It is especially important to work with an experienced and qualified contractor if you are expecting to receive tax incentives.

Do I qualify to generate my own electricity?

In Washington State, residential or small commercial electricity customers in good standing who generate at least some of their own electricity are eligible for net metering. The program works on a first-come, first-served basis for customers who meet the following requirements:

  • The generating system must be 100 kilowatts or less.
  • The power is on the customer's premises.
  • Generating resources include solar, wind, hydropower, biogas from animal waste, or combined heat and power unit electric generating system.
  • The customer must submit completed applications and agree to follow the PUD's net metering policies.
  • Customers must provide, at their own expense, power conditioning, connection and safety equipment that meet PUD specifications.

How does net metering work?

Net metering measures the difference between the electricity purchased by a customer from PUD 3 and the electricity produced by a small generation unit. A meter tracks the difference as a customer generates excess power or receives electricity from the PUD system.

The PUD reads the meter as normal. Under the net metering arrangement, if a customer uses more electricity than they produce, they are billed for the consumption at the appropriate rate class. If generation exceeds consumption, and is fed back into the PUD system, the customer receives a credit for the excess generation.

Are there application forms and agreements for the program?

Customers should complete an interconnection and net metering agreement, an interconnection and net metering application, and submit them to PUD 3’s engineering department. A service engineer will review your application and work with you to make sure it meets all the required safety and technical standards.

Washington State Renewable Energy Incentive Program

Customers who generate their own electricity may be eligible for incentive payments from the Washington State Department of Revenue. The program is authorized under Washington State Law (RCW 82.16.110).

The types of renewable energy generation that qualify include solar, wind, and anaerobic digesters.

Depending on the kind of renewable energy system and where it was made, incentives can range between $0.12 and $0.54 per kilowatt-hour (up to $5,000 per year).

Customers should work with their renewable energy contractor and ask PUD staff to ensure they meet all the requirements to receive incentives from this program.

Program requirements include:

  • A customer-installed, revenue-grade production meter.
  • Compliance with program procedures and regulations.
  • Random auditing of generating systems and production meters.

How can I get more information?

For more information on net metering with Mason County PUD No. 3, please contact PUD 3 engineering at 360-426-0888.


© 2016 Mason County Public Utility District No. 3